Friday, March 21, 2014

Slippery Fish Visual

Slippery Fish (also known as the Octopus Song) circle time visual~

My little ones (and I) love the song Slippery Fish so I thought I would make a visual to make song time (circle time) more interactive to make sure they are attending and are following along.

I made the cute little critters using my Cricut Expression 2 and "Create a Critter" cartridge. I edited the shape of the fish using the Cricut Craft Room to make three other ones; the Slippery Fish is the gold fish (yum~) look-a-like which is the original shape that comes with the cartridge and I stretched it out to make the orange Tuna Fish, believe it or not, the Great While Shark was made out of the same one as well but just added the fin and the tail using a chick's beak and a bird's beak from the same cartridge (I know it is hard to imagine but it worked!). The Octopus and the Humongous Whale came with the same cartridge~



 I first wanted to make it into a form of a file folder activity so I had it set out on top of a manila folder above. But ended up just making it into a separate sheet to put in a three-ring binder with other song activity visuals.
I added some sea shells, seaweed and some bubbles for the background.



Laminated them and added velcro to the back of all the fish and one in the middle of the base board to put on while singing the song~
*Very important tip: when  using velcro, it is HARD on the CARD. Which means, on the large board, you put on the soft side of the velcro to prevent children from getting scratched by it. Especially if you are making something big to put on a wall. And if everything is made the same way, then you can always mix match the pieces later on~


Oh, before I laminated and put on the seashells and all, I printed the lyrics onto the back of the board in case the teacher/parent needed a cheat sheet~ and also in case I forgot who ate who. 



And lastly, so that all the fish can be put away while not eating or getting eaten, I put velcro dots on the back put them on (carefully not covering any part of the lyrics). I only did this since I was only using this one page to store in a three ring binder. If I was making a file folder activity, I would have gotten velcro strips and put them on the inside part of the manila folder to keep the fish nice as safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment